Today we'll start with the basics, and over the next several days I'll post about additional items that will make life easier with your new baby.
|Let your friends know that you are open to hand-me-downs and watch the clothes grow!|
If you really want only the essentials for the first week or two you can get away with just the following:
- Diapers/wipes - Lots of people suggest that even if you plan to use cloth diapers it's easier to use disposables those first few weeks when baby poops upwards of 12 times a day! You can also skip the newborn size and go straight to size 1 for most babies.
- A pack of 2-3 onsies
- A couple of receiving blankets or swaddles (I loved the HALO SleepSack Swaddle for the first several months.)
- Nail file or clippers (I was too scared to use the clippers so I filed baby's nails until she was older. Also, don't waste money on those baby mittens. A nurse in the NICU said that they keep babies from sucking on their fingers, which is soothing and will help them sleep.)
- Car seat - Required and should be new! Some hospitals give them to new mothers so make sure you check before purchasing.
- A sample of formula and a few bottles - experts recommend breastfeeding your baby, but if you initially have issues (and many women do!) you might feel less stressed about it knowing you have a temporary back-up plan (with that being said, babies only need a very small amount of colostrum those first couple days since their stomachs can only hold 5-7mLs!)